February 18, 2013

Hawaii O - Mixology Monday

As a child I did not much like chocolate. Most of my little school friends liked milk chocolate and most adults liked dark chocolate. I found the first overly sweet and the latter too bitter.

I preferred liquorice - the black, salty kind.

But then I tried a Hawaii ring. A candy shaped like a slice of pineapple out of the Del Monte can - consisting of a pineapple tasting jelly center coated with dark chocolate.

I loved it.

For some reason I thought about this candy, that has long been discontinued, when I read the theme for this months Mixology Monday.

I asked Stewart - the gracious host - of the party if it was okay to invert candy into cocktail and got the go ahead.

So here is my contribution - a liquid dessert:

  • 6 cl white rum (I used Banks 5 island white rum, but a slightly drier white rum would be a tiny bit better)
  • 3 cl white creme de cacao
  • 12 cl fresh pineapple juice
  • Dash of Bitter Truth Xocolatl Mole Bitters
Shake everything over ice, double strain into a cocktail coupe and garnish with freshly grated dark chocolate.

Enjoy and thanks for hosting Stewart! (For some reason I always imagine that the hosts of Mixology Monday try all the cocktails people come up with and then set to work on the write-up;) )

3 comments:

  1. I love chocolate! And I'm very intrigued by this combination. It may be unfeasible to try all the MxMo cocktails, but I'll be trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to hear your impression after a taste!

    I have to admit, that the combination is so simple I am a little surprised this hasn't been "invented" before - which it probably has, but it's not in the cocktailDB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, you can also go for coconut lime and Malibu Coconut Rum Pie.

    ReplyDelete